Moving is stressful. You have to arrange for every single item you own, from fragile glasses to precious photographs, to be relocated. You have to change your address and transfer your utilities. You have to deal with new jobs and schools. And then there’s the emotional element, the fact that you’re leaving behind the familiar and facing the unknown, and perhaps not everyone in your family is thrilled about that fact.
Yes, moving is a stressful time, but it’s also an exciting time. After all, you’re moving for a reason. So, when you get overwhelmed by stress during your move – it’s bound to happen at some point – remember these 9 things.
- You can set up your new house exactly the way you want it. Maybe you weren’t happy with the way the furniture was arranged in the old place, or you didn’t care for the paint in the living room but never got around to redoing it. Moving is like the ultimate redecorating.
- Your new home will be clean and free of clutter. Sure, you have to unpack everything first, but you didn’t pack the dust in those high corners you could never quite reach or the pile of junk mail you needed to toss. Your new house won’t have any of that for a while.
- You love your new home. After looking at dozens of options, you chose this one. Think about that.
- You have new neighbors to meet. Maybe you’ll end up being friends. Think of all the neighborhood barbeques you can have.
- You have new restaurants to try. It’s easy to get into a rut and always go to the same places and do the same things, but moving will force you to shake up your routine.
- You won’t be bored for a while. It’s not just because moving will keep you busy. If you’re moving to a new city, you have new sports teams, museums, parks and galleries to check out. That should keep you entertained for a long time.
- You’re moving for a reason. Maybe you or your spouse got offered a job. Maybe you wanted to be closer to family. Maybe it was just time for a change. Whatever your reason, remember that you’re making a positive step forward in your life.
- Moving gives you a fresh start. There’s no obvious connection between moving and developing better habits. You could go back to your old routines of eating junk food, not exercising and watching bad television – but why would you want to? Moving is a fresh start, even more so than New Year’s Day when many people make resolutions. It’s the perfect time to pick a new lifestyle to go with your new home.
- If something does go wrong with your move, you have the right insurance. You did get the best moving insurance to cover your belongings in case they’re damaged or lost during the move, right? If not, get it now. That way, you can relax knowing that even if things don’t go as planned, you’re off to a great start in your new home.