The odds are excellent that there’s a self-storage facility near you. They industry is booming, and for good reason. Self-storage is a convenient option that lets people hold onto the stuff they love without sacrificing their living space. There are many reasons to use self-storage. Some of them might even be right for you.
- You’re selling your house. When you put your house on the market, you want it to look as spacious as possible. Cramming every nook and cranny full of your stuff doesn’t help. To really show off those large closets and big rooms, you want to remove some of the contents.
- You’re moving. If you’re moving to a new home in the same area, putting some non-essentials in storage can reduce the amount of work needed on moving day. For a longer distance move, mobile storage is another option.
- You’re downsizing. Maybe you’re trying to simplify your life, or maybe you have to move into a smaller space for economic reasons. Either way, you might not be ready to part with some of the belongings that no longer fit in your home.
- You’re decluttering. Over the years, you can accumulate a lot of stuff – which can lead to a very cramped living space. You may want to donate or toss some of your stuff, but if you’re not willing to part with something, self-storage can be a good compromise.
- Your kids are moving out. Your kids are finally grown, and they’re moving out of the house. You want to turn their old bedroom into a gym or study, but there’s just one problem: they left all their stuff behind. Don’t make them mad by throwing it out. Put it in self-storage.
- You’ve inherited some items. These items may have a lot of meaning for you, but that doesn’t mean you have space for them. You can put them in self-storage until you find a better solution.
- You have a boat. Many self-storage facilities have space for boats during the off season. You can also park your RV at a self-storage facility.
- You have a wine collection. Many self-storage facilities have been adding wine storage. If your collection has outgrown your space, this may be an option worthy of a toast.
- You’re living abroad. If you’re moving abroad temporarily, bringing all your stuff with you can be a major hassle. Instead of getting rid of it, you can put it in storage.
- You’re renting out your home. Many people have started renting out their homes using Airbnb or its competitors. If you do so, you may not be comfortable leaving some of your most personal and valuable items in the house with strangers. Self-storage is a way to keep them safe and private.
Whatever your reason, when you use self-storage, make sure your stuff is insured. While the facility’s insurance covers the rental structure, it usually does not cover the contents you put inside. Where can you find great self-storage insurance? At StorageInsurance.com, part of Relocation Insurance Group. Get a self-storage insurance quote now!